LSAA 2016 Conference and Design Awards
Theme: Design Beyond the Boundaries of Architects or Engineers
A two day event in Melbourne on Thursday and Friday 1-2 September 2016
Venue: Monash University Caulfield Campus.
There is a separate web page dealing with the 2016 Conference.
We have selected this theme to remember the work and influence of Frei Otto the brilliant German Engineer and Architect who developed designs and concepts using forms and materials that were generally beyond the previous experience of both engineers and architects. Frei Otto died in 2015.
Part of the conference will explore our current approaches and tools used in the design of the forms found in tensioned lightweight structures (membranes and cablenets for example). We will examine how they have evolved over the years from small physical models using stockings, lycra or soap films through to computer generated 3D virtual structures.
We will ask if we have progressed significantly and importantly it will be a great opportunity to look forward to our future design challenges and structures.
For further information on the Conference - see HERE
For more information about the 2016 LSAA Project Design Awards - see HERE
To Download Entry Forms (MSWord) - see HERE
For more information about the 2016 LSAA Personal Lifetime Achievement Awards - see HERE
For information about Sponsorship - see HERE
For information for Authors and Presenters - see HERE
LSAA Mission Statement:
"To lead, promote and develop excellence and innovation in lightweight structures by inspiring research and diseminating expert knowledge to expand the industry and opportunities for our members".
The Lightweight Structures Association is a Not for Profit, autonomous, inter-disciplinary group of interested parties involved in the field of lightweight structures. Operating primarily in Australia and New Zealand our basic aim is to promote the proper application of lightweight structures, their design, fabrication, construction and materials and to encourage the development of these and other aspects essential to lightweight structures.
The objectives of the Association are:
- To establish itself as a reference body on lightweight structures;
- To collect and disseminate information in the field of its members, encouraging the exchange of information between members and those interested, through publications and the organisation of meetings, seminars and conferences;
- To promote the proper application of lightweight structures;
- To contribute towards implementation of suitable guidelines for the design, analysis, fabrication, construction and application of lightweight structures;
- To encourage research and development in the field;
- To maintain links with international institutions and groups to update technology and information;
- To promote the services and products of the members; and
- To provide educational resources to professionals and students of architecture and engineering.
During 2016 we have also put in place to have a more regular eNewsletter and to improve our communication with our members.